Sunday, December 16, 2007

Digital Fashion Designer

Lil fact about me: I graduated NYU with a computer science degree, specializing in Computer Graphics research (nothing to do with my career, lol). To sum up what that means: you know your fancy photo editors that somehow fix your pictures a click of a button, or did you ever notice how each successive Shrek movie looks closer and closer to real life? I was the one of the many techies that researched and wrote the programs to make that stuff happen. My final project while working under the guidance of Kenneth Perlin was writing simplified mathematical equations to render seashells. See this bit of computer code made this pretty picture.

Ok, I hope haven’t totally bored you by now, I promise you I will get to the sewing part. I loved graphics programming because the same reason I love crafting – taking virtually nothing or simple and making something awesome from it. More specifically, taking something in 2D (letters/fabric) and turning it in to something in 3D (graphics/clothing). If I would have pursued graphics as a career I was going to work on developing pattern-making algorithms for crocheting and sewing. Fortunately Bernina beat me to it. They developed a pattern making software package. You put in your measurements, pick your garment, fit the garment on the virtual model, pick a fabric, print and sew! I’ve been tinkering with the free Demo product trying to push it to the limits. So far it’s so good, for what its worth. I’m going to pick the t-shirt (the demo is only a skirt and t-shirt) and give it a go. If real life fitting is not required after digital fitting, I might be impressed. Unfortunately it has to get the back of the project queue (which is about 6 deep right now). If anyone has tried this out and makes something fab from it please shoot me a note. I’m oh so curious about the possibilities of this product. Also, they are having a sewing software challenge. Check a screen shot of the software below.

I love when technology and crafts unite....It gives me warm fuzzies :0)

9 comments :

Erica Bunker said...

I'm really curious about the Bernina software too. I want to hear lots of great things about it before I even consider dropping that kind of money on it.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you've used any of the other pattern-making software (particularly Wild Ginger or Living Soft)? If so, could you compare them to Bernina?

toy said...

I haven't tried it but I've heard about it, I love software, I think I have a program for anything under the sun, lol, but somehow I feel compelled to learn how to alter paper patterns instead of getting software to do it,,,,, this of course is subject to change, lol

mimi jackson said...

Very cool - I do love the idea of using software to develop patterns, but there are so many variables, I'm definitely a hands-on girl when it comes to patternmaking.

What I wanna know, is how does the pattern account for fabric choices?

Unknown said...

Lurker in blogland in general, and newly to this site. I also love when technology and crafts combine...Making something cool from nothing much is definitely the *best*. In fact, I've been interested in following the research projects of a research group in Boulder ( here). You may be familiar with it, but they have come cool things over there.

Cennetta said...

The techie stuff is not boring at all. I haven't heard about this new software and am interested to know how your test garments turn out.

Thanks,
Cennetta

Kelly said...

When I saw the ad for this software, I went to the site. However, I didn't get the demo. this software looks interesting, but I wondered about the fit. Will it actually give a close to perfect fit. And I have the same question as Mimi, how does the fabric selction works? Can't wait to see your finish T-shirt and reveiw.

Sheila said...

Ooooh interesting stuff - I have not heard of this software possibilities - geezous where have I been.

Berry said...

I'd be interested to see what you can get out of this software.
Merry Christmas!