Monday, March 9, 2009

QUIZ: What's in the Ruffle??

While in the Macy's on 34th St I noticed a recurring detail on several evening and cocktail dresses. I fell in love and snapped a photo:

Look at the ruffles in my hand from the hem and the flower detail on the bodice! Simply eye-catching! They are created by taking a pre-coiled nylon thread (not horsehair), possibly between 2-3mm in diameter, and encaseing them in a fabric channel, similar to how you would channel boning. The resistance of the tight coil in the straight channel creates this beautiful warped ruffle (think of it like straightening a telephone cord). This particular dress uses black statin on cream pleated chiffon. Now you tell me, what is the name of the thread creating the ruffle? (Really please tell me, I don't know what it's called or where to find it and I want to use it LOL)

Here is a Catherine Malandrino dress with a similar detail.
Extra Credit: Anyone recognize the designer of the black and white dress I was holding? The girls rushed me out of the store and I have forgotten the name already :-)



On less the industry had come up with something new, I believe this is another form of horse hair. It is a tubular horse hair and it comes in different widths. Being in NYC, I’m sure you could find it at Stainfauf and Stoller Inc. 239 W. 39th St. 212 869-0321. They would also tell you if there is something new that is being use by the garment industry.

I also have seeing [and used] fishing cord when the hem is finer than the one that you showed on the pics.

C. Dishmey said...

I think that's a great idea! I will give them a call as well.

MaryPat R said...

I am afaid I am of no help, but wanted to comment that the technique looks fantastic. Please let us know what you find out and show us the results.

Anonymous said...

I was going to say a heavey test fishing line found in the sporting goods store. But Cruz is right, that would be for narrow applications. It does give that wonderfully shaped curve to a ruffle.